AM Scripture Reading: Acts 4.8-12
This Morning’s Sermon:
Brent T. Willey
JESUS CHRIST: “No Other Name”
- In his defense before the Sanhedrin (Acts 4.5-12), Peter clearly identifies the source of the power that caused the lame man to be miraculously healed at the gate of the temple (Acts 3.1-10).
- Peter concludes: “Nor is there salvation in any other name, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4.12).
- Our identity is to be associated with “Jesus Christ” !
INDIVIDUALLY: A “CHRISTIAN”
- The term “Christian” has been generically misapplied!
- Is an infant (young child) a Christian? (Matt. 18.3)
- Does belief in Christ make one a Christian? (James 2.19)
- Was the thief on the cross a Christian? (Luke 23.39-43)
- Ambiguous phrases: “Christian home…nation…college…”
- What, or who, is a “Christian” ?
- One who has “the remission of sins” (Acts 2.38; 22.16).
- One who has been added to Christ’s body, the church. (Acts 2.47; 1 Cor. 12.13, 18)
- One who desires to be Christ-like. (1 Cor. 11.1; Gal. 2.20)
- One who wears Christ’s name without shame. (1 Pet. 4.16)
- One who does more than just make a claim! (Luke 6.46)
COLLECTIVELY: THE “CHURCH OF CHRIST”
- The phrase “church of Christ” has been equally misapplied!
- Inclusive denominationalism? (Eph. 4.4; 1 Cor. 1.10-13)
- A saving organization? (Acts 20.28; Eph. 5.23)
- Indicates identity & possession. (Rom. 16.16; Titus 2.14)
- What, or who, is the “church of Christ” ?
- Was built by Christ, not men! (Matt. 16.18)
- Established in Jerusalem on Pentecost! (Acts 2)
- Christ is its only Head & Mediator! (Col. 1.18; 1 Tim. 2.5)
- No creed but Christ – no book but the Bible! (1 Pet. 4.11)
- Wears Christ’s name – not men’s! (Acts 4.12; 1 Cor. 1.13)
- Teaches the “whole counsel of God” (Acts 20.27)!
- Carries out the great commission! (Matt. 28.19-20)
Conclusion: We are to emphasize the name of Christ, and only Christ!