PM Scripture Reading: Zephaniah 3.1-5
This Evening’s Sermon:
Brent T. Willey
Our Unfailing God
- Zephaniah warns the southern kingdom of Judah with fiery images and looming judgment (Zeph. 1.1-3). Yet, he also gives a message calling for repentance, leading to forgiveness (2.1-3).
- He concludes, “The Lord is righteous in her midst, he will do no unrighteousness. Every morning He brings His justice to light; He never fails, but the unjust knows no shame” (3.5).
GOD’S UNFAILING RIGHTEOUSNESS & JUSTICE
- His Righteousness: “The Lord is righteous within her…” (Verse 5; cf., Psa. 92.15; Hosea 14.9)
- Judgment “begins with the house of God” (1 Pet. 4.17).
- “The righteousness of God is revealed” (Rom. 1.16-17).
- His Justice: “He will do no injustice…every morning He brings justice to light…” (Verse 5, cf., Deut. 32.4; Psa. 89.14)
- Every decision of God right! (Psa. 119.60; Isa. 45.22-23)
- Nothing escapes God’s attention! (Job 34.21; Heb. 4.13)
“HE NEVER FAILS…”
- In His Wisdom: “Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!” (Rom. 11.33; cf., James 3.17).
- In His Love: “Love never fails…And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love” (1 Cor. 13.8a, 13; cf., John 3.16; 1 John 4.19).
In His Promises
“The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance” (2 Pet. 3.9; cf., 2 Cor. 1.20; 1 John 2.25).
Conclusion: God will never fail us – let’s do our best not to fail Him!