PM Sermon 5/10/15: Relevant Renewal!
PM Scripture Reading: Romans 12.1-8
Brent T. Willey
- Paul “appeals” [Parakaleō: “to call near; to summon.”] to the brethren at Rome. NKJV: “I beseech you…” (Rom. 12.1).
- They had obeyed the gospel of Christ (Rom. 6.17), but now the apostle summons them to “be transformed by the renewal of your mind” (Rom. 12.2), which indicates an ongoing process.
- Indeed, Relevant Renewal!
RESPOND TO THE CHALLENGE
- “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice” (v. 1).
- Why? Our bodies belong to God as much as our souls do, and we serve Him with both! (1 Cor. 6.15-20; 1 Thess. 5.23)
REPROGRAM OUR THINKING
- “Do not be conformed, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind” (v. 2).
- What’s contrasted? Conforming versus transforming…and “by the renewal of the mind” [anakainōsis: “compete change for the better”] (text & Titus 3.5).
REFLECT HONEST HUMILITY
- “Not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think” (v. 3).
- What does that take? An assessment of who we really are – and that takes honesty! (Prov. 26.12; Micah 6.8; Gal. 6.3)
RECOGNIZE OTHER’S GIFTS
- “Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us” (v. 6).
- What does that mean? Every man has his own charisma [gift]! (Vs. 4-8; 1 Pet. 4.10-11)
Conclusion: Christians are challenged to keep the renewal alive!