Who We Are
The Los Osos church of Christ is an assembly of Christians who have come to Christ in the same manner as those who came to Christ in the New Testament; by understanding the gospel, believing that Jesus is the Christ who died for our sins, repenting of our sins, confessing that He is Lord, and being baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, for the remission of sins (Acts 2.38; Matt. 28.18-20; Acts 8.26-40).
We are seeking to worship and serve God in the way that He has directed. To accomplish this, we use only the Bible as our guide. In these pages, we hope to tell you about what we do in our worship, studies, and time together as a group of believers in Christ. We believe in local autonomy, with Christ as our head (Col 1.18). “Church of Christ” is not a denominational name, but is simply a biblical description of who we are (Rom. 16.16). Therefore, we do not have a centralized headquarters or associate ourselves with any denominational group, but simply work together locally as a congregation to conduct ourselves in a way that is in accordance with God’s will for His church. We are a church belonging to Jesus Christ and are excited to serve and praise Him together as He calls us to do (1 Peter 2:9-10).
The Bible is Our Only Guide
One of our most basic convictions is the belief that the Bible is the inspired Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17). God’s Word is the truth (John 17:17), and it is our responsibility as His people “to speak as the oracles of God” (1 Peter 4:11). When you visit our assemblies, you’ll see a simple yet reverent worship service. This is because we strive to be pleasing to God by only practicing religious activities that can be found in the Bible.
We know that human beings are fallible, so we don’t follow man-made creeds or doctrines. Everything we do in our worship can be found in the Bible as a command from God or as an example of how Christians worshipped in the New Testament. Jesus said, “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth” (John 4:24).
When we assemble, one can expect:
- The Lord’s Supper. The memorial represented by unleavened bread & fruit of the vine, observed each Lord’s day in commemoration of Christ’s death & sacrifice for our sins (Acts 2:42, Acts 20:7, & 1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
- Congregational Singing of songs of praise & exhortation to encourage & educate in spiritual truths (Ephesians 5:19 & Colossians 3:16).
- Bible Preaching presenting simple & understandable studies from God’s word to exhort, rebuke, & build faith (Acts 2:42 & Acts 20:7).
- Prayers offered with humble appeals of request & thankfulness to God through Jesus Christ (Acts 2:42 & 1 Thessalonians 5:17).
- Voluntary Contribution. Our guests are not expected to give a contribution. Only the members are expected to give each Sunday, the Lord’s day, to carry out the scriptural work of the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2 & 2 Corinthians 9:6-7).
We have several opportunities to study the Bible with others who strive to learn all that it has to offer. We have Bible Classes for all ages as well as Bible studies meeting at various times and locations.
Do you have questions? Feel free to email or call us